Internship at the UN in Program Management 2021
The United Nations is looking for a talented Program Management intern to join the team for a period of 2 to 6 months depending on the needs of each office, as the program will take place in Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and the US for 2021.
- Assist in drafting and preparing background documents, reports, issue briefs, talking points, articles, presentations etc.
- Attend and summarize conferences and meetings.
- Support organization of meetings and conferences, side events to strengthen strategic engagement with UN system partners.
- Assist in data collection of disaster risk reduction practices.
- Conduct research and provide analysis on relevant disaster risk reduction and sustainable development issues.
- Support research on risk knowledge and analysis on DRR-related topics.
- Assist in maintaining databases.
- Support the review of key publications.
- Support the work on Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction, Sendai Framework Monitoring, Words into Action, Making Cities Resilient, International Day for Disaster Reduction, World Tsunami Awareness Day etc.
- Assist in preparing training and learning events and other capacity building initiatives for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise.
- Is willing to learn from others, and places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for this internship. Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset. Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
About the United Nations:
The United Nations (UN), was established in 1945, is an intergovernmental organization responsible for maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations, achieving international cooperation, and being a center for harmonizing the actions of nations. It is the largest, most familiar, most internationally represented and most powerful intergovernmental organization in the world.
How to Apply
Register on the website to fill out the application form which includes:
- Personal information
- Work experience
- Skills and training
- Cover letter
Please note: Deadline will be on 28 February 2021.
If you have any questions, contact the team via this page.